Tag a higlight/annotation

Is it possible to tag a higlight/annotation iteself inside the PDF instead of tagging the pdf. So that way I have multiple tags associated with different highlights in pdf

3 Likes

Not at the moment, @Faisal_Khan. Do you mean tags like the ones from your library, or independent ones? I see the use for expanded searching (perhaps topic-based), but please explain a bit more of your use case so I can add the idea to our internal tracker.

something like hypothesis app has. they can tag each highlight ( it is different than the tag of document) . so lets say i assign a tag alpha to the highlight in one document and i add the same tag to another highlight in another document, when i sort on that tag, i can pull up these references in one place. this is very cool and helps in searching by themes across multiple documents

1 Like

Thanks for the clarification! This has actually been similarly requested before, so I’ve added your +1 to the existing topic on our tracker. It’s likely the team will consider this and other features like it soon.

3 Likes

another +1 for this please!! THat would be very helpful!

I’d love this as well. Need a way to search across annotations and notes for multiple sources for tags or keywords.

1 Like

and another + 1 from me too!

1 Like

Hi Paperpile team,

Thanks once again for the fantastic product. It’s been a while since I started using Paperpile, and it’s been a great decision.

I’m trying to revive this topic because I wonder if there is any way of finding highlights by their ID when exporting to JSON (or any other way really). When extracting data for systematic reviews, I frequently need to go back to the exact location where I got the information. If there were a better way to locate annotations, that would be amazing!

Thanks in advance and keep up the great work!

2 Likes

@David_Aceituno, thank you very much for your feedback! For a single PDF, you can export highlights to JSON that includes an ID (From the PDF Viewer, click the “Export” button in the bottom left corner, select “JSON” and either copy the text or download the file), but we don’t currently offer bulk export of highlights and annotations from PDFs. The topic has come up before though, so I’ve added your +1 to our internal tracker for the dev team’s consideration in the future.

1 Like

That’s the one feature, bulk export of annotations, that blocks a workflow by which you can connect paperpile to obsidian and I imagine other PKMs.

You can bulk export citations, and you can export annotations one paper at a time. It really should not be technically challenging to implement bulk annotation export to bib.

Hope devs get to it soon. Would be nice not have to kludge zotero and paperpile just to be able to create literature notes and cite in my PKM.

2 Likes

Thank you @suzanne. That’s very helpful. I hope export of bulk annotations and advanced search capabilities are developed soon.

Thanks for the great work!

1 Like