Text to speech Reader Capability

As a differently-abled reader, I’d love for a text to speech reader option or for the ability for a google chrome extension to be used on the pdfs. I predominately use Paperpile as my main point of contact with all my research articles, and being able to use a tool like this would make life a lot easier.

Thanks for bringing this up, @ktejeda. Which Chrome extensions have you tried? I imagine you’ve also played around with your computer’s built-in TTS settings? Depending on your device, there might be some options there.

After a quick Google Search and understand what you mean - there seem to be issues since the PDF is opened via our own extension. I tried out this extension, the second result of my search.

However, selecting text and using the right-click menu did work:

Which makes me think that there’s likely more options to explore here. Let me know what kind of computer you’re using and if you’ve tried any other extensions, and I’ll check for more suggestions.

Thanks for your reply @vicente! I’ve tried many to no avail. Read-aloud but it’s frustrating to keep highlighting. I’ve got a Mac computer also tried the extensions speechify, Natural Reader text to speech, and Readme. I think you’re on to something with the extension component being the major issue but that’s out of my realm of knowledge :slight_smile: I appreciate the assistance, it would definitely make life a lot easier!

This gave me an excuse to try out Acrobat Pro’s read aloud function. The first PDF that I tried was perfectly searchable, and when I pressed the function I was greeted with a verbal “Warning, empty page.”

I tried other PDFs and they worked well, but definatly hit or miss. When it works, no highlighting is needed though.

Thank you for sharing, it seems there no GREAT option thus far :frowning: