The new Paperpile: now in private beta šŸ§Ŗ

@ajn Iā€™ve restored your access - you should now see the toggle to enable the New Paperpile preview.

1 Like

Every time I open Paperpile I am back to the old layout, and it prompts me to switch to the new Paperpile. Even if I just close the tab, the switch doesnā€™t persist in the same session.

@jh7753 Thank you for your report. Am I correct in that you are trying to open the new app but you get redirected to the old app?

Can you remove the extension in Chrome by going to the dots menu > Extensions > Manage Extensions and clicking the Remove button under the Paperpile extension. Then try opening the new web app, click the ā€œUse without extensionā€ button, and wait for your library to load. After that, install the extension again by going to your icon in the top right > Settings > Browser extension.

Let me know how that goes. But if it doesnā€™t work, please contact us via the in app chat or email support@paperpile.com so that we can investigate the issue with you further.

When I select some citations then links for the article Website and Cited By appear which is nice.
Iā€™m not quite sure why these only appear when you select articles. Think it could perhaps be useful to have them on by default (or alternatively a setting where you can set this or not). Many libraries use a custom Google Scholar URL which allows linking back to their own collection. For example ours is https://scholar.google.com/scholar?&inst=17914897140506615607
It would be good, if in the settings, you could add the GS institutional number such that it is incorporated in the Cited By link. Would also be nice to have the Cited By links (custom of course :slightly_smiling_face:) in the Share via Link or Email output

@Rob_Penfold Thank you for these requests, Iā€™ve shared them with the team for consideration. The website and Cited by links do not show until the reference is selected in the old app too and there are no plans to change that behavior in the new app.

1 Like

For future reference. I have encountered the same issue. I think it caused by the browser history, since I always chose paperpile from the dropdown after typing ā€œpaperpileā€ in the address bar. I solved my issue by clearing my browsing history.

1 Like

Which annotation updates are you referring to @jh7753? PDF viewer, notes or something else?

Hi Suzanne, One other comment on Point 1 of my Nov 23 post (and glad to hear that is being worked on). Another thing is that you select the folder where you want it to go and then nothing really happens so you feel a bit unsure about whether it is really working or not. So another suggestion is that on selection of the destination folder the web clipper give some visual signal that the operation is successful etc, Thanks Rob

1 Like

Special search (using //) is works well to find and navigate to folders. Also seems to work fine for author and tag search. However it is rather hit and miss with title searches - sometimes works, sometimes not (and get an error message sometimes (search error occurred or similar). Can find titles via normal search (using /) still ok

Thanks for pointing out this issue in the UI, @Rob_Penfold. Hitting the backslash key twice for Quick lookup/Special search can be used to search authors, labels, folders, and journals, not titles. So Iā€™ve asked the team to remove ā€œTitleā€ from the Quick lookup dialog. As you pointed out, you can search for titles using the normal search.

1 Like

A feature request. In Paperpile, you can sort the results via various options (year, title etc). However when you share these results with a client this sorting doesnā€™t stick and reverts to some default sort. It would be nice for librarians to have the sorting be persistent as when you share the results with your clients, often you want them to see certain papers near the top etc. Thanks

Thanks for your report, @Rob_Penfold. The team has made a bug for the issue, as the sorting is retained if you share references via link/email in the old app. In the meantime, you can use the old app side-by-side with the new if you wish to share references with collaborators: if you go directly to https://paperpile.com/app the old Paperpile will load.

1 Like

When in Ovid databases (which are very commonly used), the data captured when clicking next to a record in the list of results is quite incomplete. This is the case whether using the new or older Ovid interface. That also seems to be the case with the older version of Paperpile. However the older version of Paperpile seems much better at updating the record details - it generally seems to find a matching records and updates, whereas the new version usually seems to not find a matching record at all. Thanks Rob

Thank you for reporting the issues with Ovid databases, @Rob_Penfold. The team has been able to reproduce and so can start working on a fix.

1 Like

In the old Paperpile interface, I was able to open the folder where a given paper is stored:

• I could search for a paper (e.g. search bar by title)
  • Click on (one of) the folder(s) itā€™s stored in
  • Click Back, then Forward in the Chrome browser navigation
  • I would end up in the selected folder, and the folder hierarchy on the left would open to show the nested folder (therefore identifying where that nested folder is stored)

I was probably using a trick that wasnā€™t intended for this use: and this doesnā€™t work anymore in the new Paperpile.

How can I do this again? Any plan to add a dedicated feature to do this? Itā€™s very useful when you remember the name of ONE paper of a category/folder, and track back this folder through that ONE paper. Itā€™s also key when the hierarchy uses many nested folders, to identify where this nested folder is stored.

1 Like

Thank you for pointing this out and explaining the steps clearly, @Thomas_Coudrat. Weā€™ve been able to reproduce it and we can see the difference between old and new apps (in the old app the folder tree opens to show the subfolders whereas it does not in the new after hitting the forward button). Iā€™ve recorded your feedback as a UX request that will be considered by the team.

1 Like

Back from a two week holiday (New Zealand; highly recommended) and the new Paperpile is showing a message ā€œSetting up your libraryā€ but never gets beyond that despite multiple attempts as well as leaving for extended periods. Same story on different browsers and home laptop vs work PC. Guess this is a work in progress as notice the old Paperpile doesnā€™t make the offer to try out the new Paperpile etc

We released a new version of the web app last week @Rob_Penfold. Can you try removing the extension, log out of the web app, then log back in, and allow the app to load and sync before installing the extension again? Let me know how that goes for you.

Thanks Suzanne. Not having much luck via the suggestions. It either insists that I install the extension, and after doing then it goes to the login screen and after that lands on the old Paperpile. Or just stays stuck on the Setting up your Library etc. Is the address for the new version still https://app.paperpile.com/
? Fine for now as still can use the old one ok

Thanks for getting back to us, @Rob_Penfold. On our end, it seems like youā€™ve switched back to the old Paperpile. Because of this, heading straight to app.paperpile.com wonā€™t do the trick. You will need to go to the old app, navigate to Settings > Feature Preview, and flip the switch to jump back into the new Paperpile.