Cannot edit citations in docs

Hey there.
My paperpile extension seems to have stopped working properly.

When adding a citation in docs, it works as expected.

However, i cannot edit the citations as I normally do anymore. The citation appears as a link to a website I do not have access to.

And when I try to edit the citation, I cannot add, remove, or change citations in any useful way.

I have a deadline in 2 days, and rely on this working. I tried basic things like restarting the extension, uninstalling and reinstalling the extension, signing out and back in to my account, testing in multiple g-docs. It does not work whatever I try, and I have no idea what to do next…

Hoping to hear back from you very soon!

Best Bjørn

I have yet to see a case of this where manually restarting the extension does not resolve the issue. Go to More Tools --> Extensions in the Chrome menu, then switch the Paperpile extension off, then on again, then reload your Docs tab.

If that still does not work, please contact us via the in-app chat so we can investigate in more detail.

W.r.t. finishing your paper, you can use our sidebar add-on, which works independently of the extension.

Since a few days ago, manually restarting the extension does not resolve the issue for me anymore. Any suggestions?

We will release and update later this week that will fix the issue.

1 Like

There was an update in Google Docs. We have already a fix and working on getting this updated as soon as possible. We keep you posted.

Thank you!
Looking forward to seeing this update, as the current state is not awesome :slight_smile:

Should be all back to normal after our update from yesterday. We even have quantitative data for it (in case anyone here likes graphs…)

That’s the error level of our Google Docs integration. Google changed Docs on Sept 4. We released the fix on Sep 5 and today (Sep 6) we are back to normal levels.

I’ve had this problem before 9/4 and continue to have it

Can you verify that you have version 1.5.95 of our extension and reload the Doc?

Idk how to see the extension version, but the changelog in the app says 9/5

If you right click the “P” icon choose “Manage Extensions” you get to a page that shows the version of the Paperpile extension.

yes, 1.5.95

Thank you. It works for me now.
That is, I am now able to update/edit references in my google-docs

Bjørn

BTW, this happens on 3 different computers, all using windows/chrome

Sorry, I missed your last reply. Is it still not working? Can you insert citations at all? Because that would mean the extension is loaded correctly and we have not seen a case recently where the bubble with the edit button fails. Just to confirm that is how it is supposed to look like:

Hi there,

I’m having this problem, too. My linked citations go to the error. I’m using Chrome Version 78.0.3904.108, and I’m signed in to Paperpile. I’m hoping this can work, because otherwise Paperpile is great!

Deanne

If anyone has a document or a situation where this occurs frequently, please let us know. We could not reproduce so far unfortunately.

One more thing: In case you encounter it again can you hit F12 (Windows) or Command+Option+I (Mac) and send us a screenshot of the output you see. If there is some error in the console it would help us to track down the issue. Thanks!

I still don’t have a solution to my problem of these unusable hyperlinks throughout my document. I just want to unlink them at this point-- is there a way to do that in Paperpile? Any help would be much appreciated.
Deanne

If you have the Chrome extension installed and are signed in you should not get a hyperlink, you should see the “Edit citation” bubble:

Can you verify if you open a new Google Doc that you can insert a citation? If that’s the case you should also see the bubble.

If that’s not the case, something weird is going on. Please contact us via the in-app messenger or support@paperpile.com

You can remove the hyperlinks via our sidebar add-on: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/paperpile/imanmdcibgaflfaibbcmmkifdgllfopm

Click the gear icon > Export and export “without citation codes”.