Find "tea" but not "teacher" or "teaching"?

Is there some way to limit the results? As it stands now I often have trouble finding relevant results.

4 Likes

Could you elaborate a bit, Kerim, ideally with examples? No way to limit results (at least that I know of) but with more details I might be able to make a suggestion and/or ask the team.

I think he means that he doesnā€™t want the search to return results of which the word he typed in is a substring but explicitly only that word.

Thatā€™s right. I do work on education so I have hundreds of documents with ā€œteachingā€ in the title which makes it impossible for me to find the one document about tea drinking culture unless I can remember more about that title (which I donā€™t). In the end I had to search for it all over again via Google and then after locating it give it the tag ā€œtea.ā€ However for this workaround to work I would need to anticipate all titles for which this could be a problem and tag them in advance of having the problem, which seems ridiculous for a research tool. It would be much better if I could limit my search to whole word matches only.

I run into this problem too. Itā€™s also a problem in the Find function within a paper. It doesnā€™t recognize a space as a character. If it did, "tea " would not return ā€œteacherā€. But right now, adding a space isnā€™t a workaround.

I use DocFetcher for full text indexing and advanced search/filtering of my reference library.
http://docfetcher.sourceforge.net/de/index.html

For that Iā€™ve set up an index for the ā€œAll Papersā€ directory.

In DocFetcher you can then use search filters like ā€œteaā€ AND ā€œtemperatureā€ OR ā€œsugarā€ to filter results.
If you put search strings in quotes, itā€™ll only look for those full words.

1 Like

Thanks for the details (@Daniel and @captglasspac as well). Iā€™ve switched this to ā€˜Feature requestā€™ for other users to add their +1 so the team can consider over future reviews. Searches are a tricky topic which we have yet to optimize, but itā€™s on the roadmap and hopefully weā€™ll be able to prioritize it soon.

2 Likes

Related to some other search improvements I suggested a couple of years ago and which have been mentioned in other threads.

Progressive search simply isnā€™t very efficient for a number of standard use cases. Field targeting and advanced search operators are essential features for the future, IMO.

4 Likes

Ugh. Now Iā€™m trying to find a work by the famous scholar Aihwa Ong and Paperpile gives me several hundred hits for articles with the word ā€œongoingā€ in the abstractā€¦

1 Like

Iā€™ve changed the status to ā€œstartedā€ as we have been working on search improvements for quite some time now.

Please remind me in January, I can share a public preview version of our new search interface for testing. It will allow you to search specific fields and to look up authors.

6 Likes

Looking forward to seeing the search improvements! Thank you for your hard work.

@stefan Reminding you.