How can I use Paperpile to cite the author's name as part of a narrative?

Hi, I’ve been enjoyed using Paperpile for a while now and wanted to see if there was a way to correctly cite author’s name as part of my narrative in the APA style?

For example, I want to give some examples of themes in the literature and want to reference the work of Kazai, as an example. Is there a way of inserting the citation in my text so that it reads as:
Kazai et al. (2011) provided examples of themes…”
instead of
(Kazai et al., 2011) provided examples of themes…”?

I hope this makes sense.

Thanks!

Click the blue bubble in the add/edit box and then check the “Suppress Author” box. The reference will then show up as (2011) and you can write whatever is appropriate in front of it.

2 Likes

Hi, thanks for this! I found it to be working the first time I did it, and I’ve managed to apply it to at least 25 references, but after returning to the document a few hours later, some of the text was broken, and only a few reference read as I want them to read.

That sounds odd. Could you please contact us in the support chat so we can investigate further?

Is there still no better solution? Using a reference sopftware I don’t want to do it manually. There will be typos etc. Writing a long paper this will be the road to hell

Welcome to our forum, @Martin_Brandt! Still no better solution – check out my and @stefan 's replies on the thread below for more details.

Hi, I have been striggling with this issue as well.

As Laura pointed out, there should be options to choose either citation as a part of a narrative or at the end of sentence. Otherwise, there will be unnecessary brackets everywhere everytime references are updated.

Please create the options as soon as possible. Thank you.

1 Like

We definitely need this option! It is essential in the in-text citation process to have narrative vs parenthetical options.

1 Like

Welcome to the community @Morgan_Steckler. I’ve shared your feedback with the team. Since narrative citations are not supported by CSL (https://citationstyles.org/), they require a lot of tweaking. We know this is important though, so it’ll be up for consideration once other improvements have been made.

1 Like

Hi everybody, this is being a big headache for me as well. I just completed a manuscript and I am constantly worried that some of the narrative citations will be transformed into brackets again. Actually, this happens everytime one formats the citations. I have to say that for me this is actually a major problem. I’ve been waiting as everybody else a reasonable time for it to be resolved, however, it feels that nobody is giving it a serious thought. Patience on this issue is running very thin right now. Hope you appreciate the honesty.

RR

Thanks for the input here, @Roberto_Rondanelli. When the option Suppress Author is ticked as indicated in Jason’s post above, that in-text citation should only display the year in parentheses (2023) no matter how many times one re-formats. If you find this is not the case for you, please contact us via chat or email (support@paperpile) so we can troubleshoot – a screen recording demonstrating the issue would be helpful.

As Suzanne mentioned, once our completely rewritten extension and webapp are implemented we’ll be able to re-shift resources to topics like this one. Stefan’s comments from last year (below) might also reassure you that proper consideration has been given to this request.