Long-form notes & annotated bibliography

Hi there,

I’d love if there was a word-processing feature integrated with the pdf reader that allows you to take long-form notes with formatting tools (like google docs) but connected to each pdf. I prefer to take notes that way (outlining) over directly commenting on the pdf. These notes could then be exported to build an easy annotated bibliography. I primarily use Mendeley because they have a box for general notes in their desktop app, but would definitely switch to Paperpile if this feature was added.

Thanks for voicing your request here as well, @Mels. Reading it now I wonder if you’ve come across our library notes (pencil icon under each reference, pictured below). These don’t have any formatting tools and are connected to the reference rather than the PDF, but could still be useful for you.

Additionally, you can use the style “American Psychological Association 6th edition (annotated bibliography with personal notes)” to have these notes show up in a bibliography.

Regardless, as I mentioned via chat similar versions of this request have come up before so your +1 is already on the topic on our tracker. Please feel free to share any further questions or comments!

Great, thank you!

I tried finding these notes in the iOS version - they do not seem to be synchronized / viewable / editable in the app, right? They only exist in the Web view? Being able to edit those notes in the app would be really helpful. No need for anything fancy, just a simple text field would do fine.

1 Like

Yeah +1

Most features should be in the app too but this one definitely should be, because the search results does not include notes so defeats the purpose for me in iPad. Hopefully in the next release, please :pray:t4::crossed_fingers:t5:

Actually, I don’t think ALL features need to be in the app. E.g., don’t bother developing yet another PDF viewer. Just open another program; there are plenty of excellent ones available. I don’t think Paperpile should waste resources on implementing a mediocre PDF viewer when it could focus efforts on being an excellent reference manager.

No one said “ALL” features. When I said “most features”, I meant features that are there in the web version. Also it is not just a pdf viewer. It is for annotations as well. One aspect external pdf readers would not be able to integrate well that paperpile would is link easily between papers in your library in your annotations which is such a great feature for me personally. Also, let’s not get distracted by details of other things in this thread. We are discussing notes, let’s stick to it. I merely mentioned as a general principal it would be great if most features in the web would be available in the iPad app too – the notes feature.

Indeed, @Holger_Karl, library notes have not yet been ported to mobile. While we do plan to bring that and more features to mobile eventually, our efforts are currently focused on improving other aspects of the webapp (like search and Bib/LaTeX workflows) after which I think we’ll delve into rewriting our sharing structure. This goes to say that I don’t have a timeline to offer at the moment, but I’ve added both your and @snehesh’s +1s to the topic on our internal tracker to raise its priority for the team.