Paperpile for Firefox

This is on the works! As @gdahia points out, we are still working on rewriting our extension and webapp - not only to support other browsers but to introduce updates and new features as well. Your patience is much appreciated as we draw closer to this goal.

1 Like

^that would be so awesome!

I had stepped away from Chrome for good, but only came back to it (actually to Edge) because of PaperPile.

1 Like

I wanted to circle back to this discussion that is years old with the latest reply 6 months old. Any update on the progress for Firefox extension? Given Microsoft Edge’s recent aggressive behavior, I (and many others) would like to switch to Firefox but the lack of Paperpile for Firefox is preventing me from doing that. Thanks for the update.

2 Likes

Yes! Paperpile for Firefox would be a must since I moved away from both Chrome and Safari…

We are nearly there on this front - a private beta of a new extension and web app is scheduled for release by this month or the next. I understand the first tests will be for Safari, then Firefox and other browsers will be added shortly after.

Hi @vicente

Any way we can sign up for the private beta for safari at this time?

Alternatively, It would be nice if you all send beta invitations to users who’ve been using Paperpile for a long time.

That’s the plan, @heumed! Besides a list I keep of those who directly request to participate in the beta, the plan is to invite active “power” users to be the first testers. We’ll reach out when there’s news.

1 Like

Hi all,

I just have to migrate from Chrome to Firefox as my uni library has issues with chrome (every time I clicked on an article/e-book chrome gives me a privacy error message). It’s been weeks and either chrome or publisher do not seem to work on the issues. So the librarians suggested using firefox or Microsoft edge (which I hated). So now my workflow with paperpile, which is absolutely wonderful when there was no issue with chrome, will be interrupted. Please please release the add-ons for firefox soon. Thank you

1 Like

Since Google Chrome added new tracking capabilities (e.g. Privacy Sandbox), I have almost completely switched to Firefox. The only reason I use Chrome now is Paperpile. If push comes to shove, I am likely going to uninstall Chrome (e.g. to prevent accidental usage scenarios), and unfortunately, that would mean I would have to painfully migrate away from Paperpile. I would love to have Paperpile run on Firefox!!

4 Likes

FYI - you can use PP with any chromium flavored browser like Edge, Vivaldi or Brave. The latter two seem to be privacy oriented.

Shift to Vivaldi. It blocks the “privacy changes” as well as “Floc”. Vivladi is one of the most feature rich browsers, and you’d not need Firefox.
Let me know if you face any issues and I’d be happy to help!

I’ve been using Brave for a couple of years now. It works fine. The only tweaking you have to do is allow PP to upload files.

Hi! I wanted to reach out to see if there have been any updates to the development of a Firefox extension?

@dejafitz we will roll out support for Safari first (scheduled for the end of summer); once that’s running stable Firefox will follow so likely before the end of 2022.

2 Likes

Could I also be added to the list for the firefox beta if/when it happens? I would really love to see this rolled out as stated by the end of the year, and I’m happy to provide any testing and feedback towards that end.

Meanwhile, does anyone have a workaround for at least adding papers while on Firefox? I saw this thread a while ago on adding papers by email, but it seems that feature was never picked up. My best option so far is to use the phone app to find and add any papers, which quickly gets tedious!

1 Like

Paperpile was the reason why I had to abandon Firefox years ago, so no workarounds that I could figure out.

That being said, if your main reason for using Firefox is chrome’s heavy resource utilization, paperpile works well with chromium flavored browsers like edge, Vivaldi, and brave.

I’d also love to be part of the Firefox beta. Chrome just announced they’re going to disable ad-blockers, and the only reason I’ve stayed with it so far is because of the PaperPile extension. Would love to move away from Chrome’s memory-hogging and the ad-blockers being disabled is kind of the last straw…

1 Like

please add me to the firefox beta list.

1 Like

Same here. Interested in Firefox support, mostly because Chrome support is so buggy (I think that’s Chrome’s fault). On Google docs, I am running all the time into the problem that I have to “authorize” paperpile and it doesn’t work. Restarted Chrome, Deactivated all other plugins… sigh…

Welcome to our forum, @Maximilian_Haeussler! The authorization problem you encountered in Google Docs is an unfortunate side-effect of Google’s scripting API, which gives users no control over which account executes script requests. This means that if more than one Google Account is signed in in the browser, the scripts we send to format the document are sometimes executed by an account which does not have access to the document. The solution is to ensure that the only Google account which is signed in is the one used for Paperpile. Signing out of other accounts can be done by going to www.google.com and using the menu in the upper right. We recommend the use of Chrome Profiles to keep account activity separate.

An alternative would be using our optional sidebar add-on instead to format documents. It has some additional functionality and its closer integration with Google Docs allows us to overcome the above limitation.

I have added your +1 (and @Jennifer_Steinbachs’) to the Firefox topic on our tracker.