Plain copy without markup? What does it mean?

In the Paperpile extension menu within Google Docs, if you click on Export > Copy without markup, Paperpile creates a copy of the paper in drive. However, none of the markup and HTML links are stripped. As far as I can see, there is no difference between the original document and the copy. So what does this option even do?

If I need a document without any of the Paperpile hyperlinks, what would I need to do?

1 Like

This function actually should have been removed already as it is currently technically not possible to strip the markup reliably in the context of our extension. It’s a permissions issue. We are working on an alternative at the moment.

As a workaround you can export to Word and then remove all URLs like that:

1. Press “Ctrl-A” to select the whole document.
  2. Press “Ctrl-Shift-F9”.
1 Like

Thanks so much. The Cmd+Shift+F9 trick removed all the hyperlinks.

Hi,

OI would like to follow up on this important topic. I am having issues with the export to PDF in Google Doc. when I download as PDF, the text does not justify well. When I download as docx or dot, the equations are all wrong. So I thought to print the google doc as PDF. Everything is fine except for long URLs each time I used paperpile for citations.

You mentioned on your website that one could “Copy without markups” but I do not see this option in the Export menu of Paperpile.

I try to print my document but the text looks strange with long URLs next to the citations.
This happens if you directly print from Google Docs. To get rid of the URLs, download the document first as PDF (or Word) using File > Download as. Alternatively, you can create a copy of your document without the URLs with Paperpile > Export > Copy without markup and print that.

Where can I find this option? I cannot export in docx and use Ctr-Shift-F9 as the equations do not export properly.

I thank ou in advance for your help.[quote=“bhaibeka, post:4, topic:141, full:true”]
Hi,

OI would like to follow up on this important topic. I am having issues with the export to PDF in Google Doc. when I download as PDF, the text does not justify well. When I download as docx or dot, the equations are all wrong. So I thought to print the google doc as PDF. Everything is fine except for long URLs each time I used paperpile for citations.

You mentioned on your website that one could “Copy without markups” but I do not see this option in the Export menu of Paperpile.

I try to print my document but the text looks strange with long URLs next to the citations.
This happens if you directly print from Google Docs. To get rid of the URLs, download the document first as PDF (or Word) using File > Download as. Alternatively, you can create a copy of your document without the URLs with Paperpile > Export > Copy without markup and print that.

Where can I find this option? I cannot export in docx and use Ctr-Shift-F9 as the equations do not export properly.

I thank ou in advance for your help.
[/quote]

That’s a never-ending story that finally should be resolved for good in one of the next updates. Here are the facts:

• We thought it is a weird Google Docs issue (as there are quite a few) and as Paperpile does not interact with the printing in any way could not figure out how Paperpile could be the problem. It actually is and there is some weird cross-talk from the CSS we use in our extension. We know the problem and will fix it.

• The workaround to use the “Copy without markup” also turned out to be ineffective as this function did not behave reliably. As this was due to some limitation of the Google API and we could not fix it we had to remove it.

That leaves us with the current workaround:

• Open the file in an incognito window (without the Paperpile extension loaded) and print from there.

Thanks for your patience and we hope to have fixed it soon.

Thank you very much for your speedy response. I actually figured out that deactivating paperpile extension would solve the issue but the incognito trick makes it easier.

I am looking forward to using the future versions of paperpile, it is a fantastic piece of software.

Hello! Thanks for this killer product. Any ETA on when this will be patched?

This problem is fixed with the latest update we just pushed.

Hi Stephan - I’m in a bind here. I can’t figure out how to disable the links and I can’t modify citations because it won’t let me without removing the entire source. In other words, I need to have my sources separated by semi-colons per apa but paperpile only separates them by parenthesis - can you help me?

Sorry, I’m afraid i don’t get your question. Is this at all related to this 2 year old thread?

Maybe this answer here helps (?) APA format for multiple citations