Android annotations disappear on Samsung tablet

I am trying a new superstition or strategy: never use the “go-to-desktop” button (looks like a square with rounded corners, in center-bottom of the screen). Instead, always switch to another app using the task switcher button (3 vertical bars), and exit-to-desktop from that program if needed. Then be sure to have at least one other program open at all times so it can be switched to.

So far (about 3 weeks) it seems to have worked ok on both my samsung (same model is Joel) and on an Onyx eink. A couple times the annotations appear to be missing when I task-switch back to paperpile, but go to the library list and re-open the particular pdf, and they are there.

Still, I really wish for a way to annotate externally, the most simple being just a feature to import a pdf on android (since “share” already exists). That would allow annotations in other programs, and solve several feature requests besides this one I believe.

1 Like

Our QA was finally able to reproduce the issue via online emulator. The matter is on the team’s backlog to address when able; for the past few months our resources have been entirely dedicated to rewriting our web app and extension but we expect to shift focus back to mobile before the end of the year. I understand allowing the use of third-party apps is not a trivial thing to implement, either, although not off the table for us in light of user demand.

We appreciate the feedback and what a significant disruption this is for Samsung tablet users. Hope I can share some updates soon.

2 Likes

Hi.
I just encountered this issue which seemed to fix itself but I thought I report it in case it might be fixable. I am using Huawei MediaPad M5 lite and my notes from yesterday disappeared. I tried to use the approach @paperbrain suggested with opening the document from “all papers” screen and when I pressed return button the annotations came back ( I opened the app from the home screen, opened the document - highlights weren’t there; I switched to chrome while googling the problem and came back to paperpile opened window - highlights weren’t there; then I pressed return button in an attempt to re open it from all papers and instead of exiting the reading view the annotations appeared again)

1 Like

I think it’s clear now that this issue is not specific to Samsung tablets.

I have been using an Onyx Boox e-ink tablet. In other respects the paperpile android app works fine on this device, but annotations dissappear at random. Often they come back, but I recently had a case were a number of annotations were irretrievably lost while I was working offline (traveling).

The offline itself is not the problem - sometimes the annotations are not lost and they successfully sync then the tablet is back online.

I have the TAB s6 s
Lite and it is
happening to me.

Has there been no further updates to this problem?

Also just encountered this bug on Onyx Boox – it’s incredibly frustrating to lose hours of annotations. I haven’t been able to get them back by accessing the paper from the All Papers page.